In Japan there’s an abundance of cute mascots and cafes as well as kawaii characters and endless kawaii plushies! Arguably the reigning champions of the kawaii character companies are Sanrio and San-X with an impressive collection of kawaii characters between them. We at YumeTwins decided to list our top 10 all time favourite kawaii characters to share with you!
10. Jiji – Coming in at number 10 on our list is Jiji the cat from the Studio Ghibli classic Kiki’s Delivery Service! With his lovable character and cute looks, it’s no surprise he’s on our list!
9. Sentimental Circus – A character series from San-X, this series includes Shappo the ring leader and all their cute circus friends! Sadly we don’t see their goods as often as other characters in Japan but we still love them!
8. Cinnamoroll – A well known Sanrio character, Cinnamoroll uses his fluffy bunny-like ears like wings and is beyond cute. We wish we could soar into the sky with him!
7. Sumikko Gurashi – Another San-x character series. Their name literally translates to corner dwellers! They always have a cute range of merchandise so we definitely don’t get bored of seeing them!
6. Little Twin Stars – Another Sanrio character series consisting of siblings Kiki and Lala! Pastel and space themed, how could we not love them!
5. Pompompurin – Sanrio again! Purin loving dog Pompompurin! He has become especially popular lately due to the Sanrio Danshi anime!
4. Totoro – Another Studio Ghibli character! This time it’s Totoro from My Neighbour Totoro. A big lovable and cute monster, we wish we could sleep on his belly too!
3. Rilakkuma – San-x’s arguably most well known and loved character! Rilakkuma the bear and his friends Korilakkuma, Kiiroitori, and Chairokoguma! His face is cute enough to brighten up anyone’s day!
2. Hello Kitty – Sanrio’s most iconic character and loved by many across the globe, it’s no wonder Hello Kitty ranks high in our list!
1. Pikachu – At number 1 is Pikachu! Being a feature of anyone who was a kid in the 90s childhood, and still loved by kids and adults alike worldwide today Pikachu takes our top spot!!
What do you think of our list? Any characters you think we should’ve included? How about your personal top 10 kawaii characters? Let us know in the comments!
Keep up to date with all the kawaii news coming straight from Japan by following us on Facebook, Instagramand Twitter!
Want to get a FREE Japanese kawaii subscription box? Check out how to get one here!
Cherry blossom season is a magical time in Japan that calls for celebration and enjoyment! With cherry blossom petals in full bloom, the scenery is picturesque and a sight to behold!
Are you a lover of all things cute and whimsical? Then you’ll be happy to know that Japan is home to some of the most adorable theme parks in the world. From Hello Kitty to Ghibli, there’s a park to suit every cute-loving girl’s taste!
Studio Ghibli films have attracted worldwide audiences with enchanting stories, breathtaking animation, and memorable characters!
If you are a Japanese culture, anime, manga, or gaming fan, you might have heard the term “Otaku” before. But what is an otaku and how does kawaii fit into the Japanese pop culture movement?
It’s no secret that Japan is home to some of the world’s most beautiful and picturesque locations. From deserted theme parks to faraway islands, let’s look at some magical places that inspired the Studio Ghibli Landscape.
In Japan, there are numerous fashion styles to observe and try. There’s something for everyone, from traditional kimono, looks to modern casual outfits to cosplay!